Essex County School Counselor Association's President Greg Jenkins makes a welcoming address stating the 2019-2020 school year goals, expectations, and membership opportunities. To read the full address please click this link or read below.
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year and welcome to another year with the Essex County School Counselor Association (ECSCA). I am honored to serve as your ECSCA president for 2019-2020. As we start this school year, I am reminded of an ASCA theme to “Relate, Recharge, Reflect, Realize”. This theme resonates strongly with me because too often I see counselors pulled in so many directions providing support to students, their families, and staff members without taking time for themselves. We must not forget the importance of self-care. To provide the best service possible, we need to allow ourselves to:
• RELATE by taking time to connect with other school counselors though
participation in ECSCA, NJSCA, and ASCA. How much better do you feel when you
speak with other professionals in the field of school counseling who gets what you
• RECHARGE by giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give others.
How kind are you being to yourself? Are you taking time to recharge mentally,
spiritually, and physically?
• REFLECT and REALIZE: take time to reflect on how much you accomplished last
year. How many students, parents, and teachers did you help in some way or
another? We are amazing at what we do each and everyday and we need to realize
how vital we are to our schools and that our jobs as school counselor directly relates
to student success.
I hope you enter this school year recharged and that you will take time to reflect on your
role in your school throughout the year. As we embark on this ECSCA 2019-2020 school
year, I invite you to continue this journey with us as we look towards our future. This year
our focus is on YOU, the members of this fine association. We are continuously working
• Build upon the organizational structure of ECSCA on behalf of our membership
• Unite all persons in the field of school counseling in Essex County as members of
• Promote advocacy for the profession and for school counselors role
• Promote profession development of school counselors and other persons directly
impacting the role of the school counselor.
Choose to be a professional school counselor who cares about his/her profession and join
ECSCA today! Membership dues are $20 ($10 for school counseling interns)
Currently you can pay dues 3 ways:
1. Complete the attached application and include a check/PO payable to ECSCA and
mail to address indicated on application.
2. Pay with credit/debit card through: NJSCA https://www.njsca.org/
3. Complete application and pay at Meet & Greet event or a general membership
Please note, in order to participate in any of our general membership meetings, you must be a member. This year, in advance of our general membership meeting in October, we will host a “MEET & GREET” on Wednesday September 25th from 3:45-6:30pm. See attached flyer for information.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or any member of our leadership team. We can
be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for being a valued member of the
Essex county School Counselor Association. I wish you all the best this school year.
Promoting the leader in us all,
Greg Jenkins, President
Essex County School Counselor Association